A 16-year-old student of ASACS International Staff College in Bwari Area Council of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Master Michael Paul Ogbe, has died from serious head injuries he sustained af­ter a high jump during the school’s inter-house sports on March 1, 2017.

His shocked mother, Mrs. Marian Nnanna Ogbe, has called for a probe of the incident and justice over the untimely death of her only son.
Michael died barely a week after he returned to the school, which runs a board­ing system.

The late Michael, The Authority learnt, was the best science SS3 stu­dent of the school. He was the only son of the family, having lost his father some years ago.

The authorities refused to speak on the incident when The AUTHORITY visit­ed the school. Several calls made to the mobile phone of the proprietor, Chief A.B. Ekwere, were also ignored.

Sources however claimed that Michael would have survived if he was rushed immediately to the hospital for treatment.

Findings also revealed that the school lacked high jump facilities as Michael’s colleagues claimed that it was a small mattress that was placed on the ground for the students to land on.
The school’s Principal, Mr. Odo Cosmas Uchenna, said that only the proprie­tor, who also owns Dorben Polytechnic in Bwari, could speak on the matter because it was a sensitive one.

When calls were put to Ekwere’s mobile phone, he declined to speak and dis­missed the first call, say­ing he was at a management meeting. All the subsequent calls were not picked.

At the Emergency Ward of the Bwari General Hos­pital, one the medical per­sonnel, who attended to Michael, said that he was brought in at about 1pm that fateful day unconscious with foam on his mouth.

He said that the medi­cal team did everything to revive him until he gave up the ghost. He described the case as unfortunate.

Mrs Ogbe, who said she singlehandedly brought up Michael as they lost the fa­ther at his tender age, la­mented that she was not im­mediately informed when the incident occurred. She got to the hospital at about 2.30pm to meet her son al­ready packaged for the mor­tuary.

She lamented that if only she was called immediately, she would have taken Mi­chael to a private specialist hospital for adequate med­ical attention.
Mrs. Ogbe recalled that the deceased had a premo­nition of his death as he was reluctant to return to school after the mid-term break.

“He was supposed to re­turn to school at the week­end but he did not go, we had to force him to go on Tuesday,” she said.

“Michael was a comput­er wizard. He did not have any training yet he was an expert. He used Apple lap­tops because he said oth­er brands were too simple. Michael wanted to work as a computer security expert in government or a tele­communications company,” Ogbe said, displaying a form she obtained from Kwan­tlem Polytechnic University, Metro Vancouver, BC Cana­da where he was billed to re­sume in September 2017 af­ter his final examination at the college.

“Michael was born on July 21, 2000, he had other siblings and his father died when he was four years old. He was respectful, intelli­gent and God-fearing and paid his tithe from his pock­et money and cared for his sisters.

“I miss him so much, I can’t give birth again, I don’t even have a husband, I don’t know where to start from. Life has no meaning any­more; I worked so hard for Michael. His last trip to Ger­many was two years ago and he underwent 31 tests; he was fit; he has no negative medical history. The school is so careless, they don’t take care of the students, I want justice done. I gave you a live child and you are giving me back a dead one. They should explain what happened to him. It wouldn’t have taken me 40 minutes to get to the school,” she lamented.

Na wa oooo,,, like play,, like play  life is lost oooohhhh

Post a Comment